I'm of the thought that anything in mini form is more fun to eat, so I've been eyeing these mini sweet peppers for a while. A couple of recipes caught my eye, but I decided to wing it and the results were damn tasty. Bonus: I used my farmers market honey mushrooms so it doubles as a CHALLENGE.
30 mini sweet peppers
3/4 c goat cheese crumbles
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c diced onions
1/2 c mushrooms, diced (or use small mushrooms, I made mine with honey mushroom caps.)
1/4 c cilantro
Directions, more photos and results after the jump...
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cut tops of sweet peppers and set aside.
3) Drizzle pan with olive oil and cook onions until they become translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste. Remove to cool.
4) In a mixing bowl combine goat cheese crumbles, cream cheese and cilantro. [Hint: Heat in microwave for 30 seconds to make the cheese softer and more pliable.] Add mushrooms and onions. Combine.
5) Stuff cheese mixture into the sweet peppers and set on a cooking tray. [Hint: I actually set mine in and cooked them in a steel strainer that had a rounded edge. This way, as the cheese melted, it wouldn't pour out. Consider what tricks you might find in your cupboards]
6) Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes. (When the peppers start to wrinkle a bit, they are done.)
I brought them to Blair's Oscar party and they were a hit with vegetarians and meat eaters alike. The mini peppers are also great for a party because you can hold them in your hand without getting messy and while also holding a glass of vino... and in two to three bites, they're a memory.