This one's an ode to the Creamed Spinach at Smith & Wollensky which made me stop turning my nose up at the green stuff... I took pieces from recipes by Emeril, someone knocking off Boston Market and my intuition (ie heavy on the cream and cheese).
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan/Romano cheese
2 small shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 to 2 tablespoons butter
2 packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
panko or breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1. Combine flour and butter in saucepan; heat and stir to make roux.
2. Add heavy cream and cheese to the roux.
3. In another pot, saute shallots and garlic in butter until they start to turn transluscent; add spinach.
4. Cook 8 minutes, or until spinach is hot.
5. Add white sauce and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper.
6. Place in casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs & sprinkles of cheese.
Note: You can make this ahead and reheat in a casserole (sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs).