I've had a serious craving for ice cream this weekend, but it is far from paleo friendly thanks to the sugar. I started thinking about how I might turn the cans of coconut milk I stocked up on into something that might fill the bill. Using Angry Asian's Coconut Granitas for inspiration, but 86'ing the simple syrup and adding fruit, my invention was pretty fulfilling!
Paleo-Friendly Blueberry, Coconut & Lime Granitas
|Blueberry, Coconut & Lime Granitas|
- 1 can coconut milk (don't get the light version)
- 1 package frozen blueberries (you could use almost any fruit here - I might try mango or strawberries next!)
- 1 lime
- shredded coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- sea salt
- fresh mint
- In a small baking dish, pour 1 can of coconut milk.
- Squeeze lime juice into the milk.
- Add shredded coconut, to taste.
- Add blueberries, to taste.
- Put in freezer. Every 30 minutes, scrape the mixture into a icy-flaky mixture. I only did this twice before I ate mine, but make sure you scrape it every 30 minutes or so otherwise it gets to firm and becomes an ice block.
- When ready, shave your granitas into a bowl. Sprinkle a little sea salt, coconut flakes and a spring of mint on top. Enjoy!
|Illustrating the Steps for Paleo-Friendly Granitas|