Last night, I tweeted the following:my trainer Monday night, I didn't want something involving pasta. This @BonnieBenwick and @ChezWu-inspired take is both delicious and Paleo-diet friendly. Recipe after the jump!
|Summer Vegetable Hash with Fried Duck Egg, Crispy Pig & Goat Cheese|
- 1 yellow squash (diced)
- 1 zucchini (diced)
- tomatoes (diced or just use grape tomatoes)
- onion (diced)
- 2 small rounds of goat cheese (or crumbled would work as well)
- 2-3 duck eggs (your choice of how many you want to add)
- 1 lime
- 1 package prosciutto (diced or torn into pieces, could also sub bacon or virtually anything of the pork variety)
- olive oil
- herbs (I used cilantro but you could mix this up to your taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Crisp the prosciutto in a frying pan, then remove and set aside. Leave any drippings in the pan to cook the vegetables in.
2. Drizzle a little olive oil in the pan, then add onion and cook until nearly translucent on medium heat. Add the remainder of vegetables to the pan, cook 3-5 minutes (I like mine to brown a little), toss and let the other side get some color. Squeeze your lime into the vegetables. Add your herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Remove the vegetable hash and mound on serving plates.
4. Turn pan to low and slowly crack the egg into the pan. Let cook until the whites are solid and opaque. With a spatula, slowly remove egg and artful lay on top of your hash taking care to not break the egg yolk
5. Top with crispy prosciutto, wedges of goat cheese and herbs... then pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy!
If you want to join Twitter, but need a starter set to know who to follow, here's a list of some of my favorite people who know their way around a kitchen... or kitchen table.